The Planning Department is responsible for comprehensive land use planning for Gilliam County. The Gilliam County Zoning Ordinance provides the legal framework for the land use regulations in the County.
The intent of the Comprehensive Plan is to establish a single, coordinated set of policies which will act to provide for orderly development of Gilliam County. These policies will give a direction to planning, establish priorities for action, serve as a basis for future decisions, provide a standard by which progress can be measured, and promote a sense of community for an improved quality of life. It will also help all levels of government and private enterprise to understand the wants and needs of all Gilliam County citizens.
What we do...
- Provide planning and zoning information to the public and other government agencies
- Administer and enforce local and Oregon State land use laws, regulations and ordinances, including the Gilliam County Comprehensive Plan and Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance
- Act as staff to the Gilliam County Planning Commission
- Review requests and applications for land use actions including partitions, zoning permits, conditional use permits, etc.
- Coordinate with other departments, agencies and officers on matters involving planning and zoning
- Conduct comprehensive planning studies and research as required by State law and the Comprehensive Plan
- Work toward improving the quality of life for Gilliam County and all its citizens and lands, present and future
- Provide information to perspective businesses on Enterprise Zone qualifications
- Document and coordinate with agencies, municipalities, businesses on matters involving Gilliam County's Wasteshed activities and programs.
The Gilliam County Planning department does not issue building permits nor do we have requirements and standards for construction. Please refer to Mid Columbia Building Code Services’ (MCBCS) in The Dalles at (541)298-4461 or visit the website at http://mccog.com/building-codes/.
Land Use Permit Land Use Application Packet and Review Process
Land Use Fees
Zoning Ordinance Enforcement Complaint Form
Proposed Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinance for review