The Planning Department is responsible for comprehensive land use planning for Gilliam County. The Gilliam County Zoning Ordinance provides the legal framework for the land use regulations in the County.
The intent of the Comprehensive Plan is to establish a single, coordinated set of policies which will act to provide for orderly development of Gilliam County. These policies will give a direction to planning, establish priorities for action, serve as a basis for future decisions, provide a standard by which progress can be measured, and promote a sense of community for an improved quality of life. It will also help all levels of government and private enterprise to understand the wants and needs of all Gilliam County citizens.
Duties & Services
- Provide planning and zoning information to the public and other government agencies
- Administer and enforce local and Oregon State land use laws, regulations and ordinances, including the Gilliam County Comprehensive Plan and Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance
- Act as staff to the Gilliam County Planning Commission
- Review requests and applications for land use actions including partitions, zoning permits, conditional use permits, etc.
- Coordinate with other departments, agencies and officers on matters involving planning and zoning
- Conduct comprehensive planning studies and research as required by State law and the Comprehensive Plan
- Work toward improving the quality of life for Gilliam County and all its citizens and lands, present and future
- Document and coordinate with agencies, municipalities, businesses on matters involving Gilliam County's Wasteshed activities and programs.
|CHANGES TO BUILDING CODES ADMINISTRATION FOR GILLIAM COUNTY - effective June 1, 2021|
Permits & Building Codes
The Gilliam County Planning department does not issue building permits. To obtain electrical, plumbing, structural/mechanical etc. permits please contact the City of Boardman.
Effective June 1, 2021 City of Boardman is administering building codes for Gilliam County and the incorporated cities therefore (City of Arlington, City of Condon and City of Lonerock) https://www.cityofboardman.com/building/page/gilliam-county-building-permits
City of Boardman Building Codes – Building Permit Applications
Building Permit Applications | The City of Boardman Oregon
City of Boardman Building Codes Division - Contact Information
Glenn McIntire, Building Official
Jackie McCauley, Building Clerk
200 City Center Circle
PO Box 229
Boardman, OR 97818
North Central Public Health District permits all sub-surface services for Gilliam County.
Septic Systems - North Central Public Health (ncphd.org)
North Central Public Health District Environmental Health Division
Nicole Bailey, Environmental Health Specialist Supervisor
419 East Seventh Street
The Dalles, OR 97058
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Gilliam County Planning Commission
All members of the Planning Commission are appointed by the Gilliam County Court. The County Court appoints members to four year terms, with those terms revolving, meaning not all members are appointed the same year. Membership of the Planning Commission shall consist of five members appointed by the Gilliam County Court in accordance with ORS 215.030. The Planning Commission meets on an as-needed basis. The fourth Tuesday of the month is set aside as a placeholder for planning commission meetings.